1.31.2017

Extended about me

This weekend, Gloss and I decided to update the “About us” page of the blog. For years, we wanted to be unknown bloggers and we did that through using the names Shadow and Gloss. As we go into our fourth year working on this blog, Gloss and I wanted to make it more personal, and tell you all more about our lives.

On the “About Us” page, we briefly talk about who we are and some of our favorite things. Click here if you want to check that out! I thought that instead of only giving you that information, I would extend my “About Me” section into a full blog post.

So the basics: I am a high school student living in New York! Sam (or Samantha as you guys now know her as) and I have been best friends for as long as I can remember. We met because my babysitter was friends with Sam’s way back before kindergarten.

I first got into makeup around 4 years ago, when I went to Sephora with Sam. We spent a long time in that store and I left with the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette. That palette means so much to me, because it is the first makeup product I ever bought for myself! If you follow our Instagram (which you totally should @shadowandgloss_), you will see that I still use, and abuse, this palette.

Ever since that first purchase, makeup has become my passion. Not only because I love the way makeup can transform a person externally, but because I love the internal transformation it creates as well. As cheesy as it sounds, I love doing other people’s makeup because I love seeing their faces when they see the final result. You don’t have to have a full face of makeup on to see an amazing transformation. I am a huge believer in loving who you are and what you look like, but, unfortunately, for teenagers especially, that is a very hard thing to do. Everyone is always so critical and many don’t feel confident unless they feel their flaws are covered. Makeup brought me to a place where I feel 100% confident with and without makeup on. Even with a huge breakout on my face, or my red, uneven skin, I can go out of the house with nothing but moisturizer on.

Over the years, my passion for makeup has evolved. It started out only with makeup, but then moved towards skincare, haircare, body care and then to just all around personal care. I have recently discovered an interest for the body and mind. Exercise, and living a heathy lifestyle are two things that I want to incorporate more of on this blog.

I love anything motivational. I am all about the cheesy and cliché. Every morning, I wake up to a motivational quote that will help me get through the day.

Makeup has not always been so easy for me to talk about. I am always very nervous that if someone knows about my passion for makeup, they will mock me because they don’t think I am pretty enough. I am confident in the way I look, but I would never look at myself and say “oh wow she looks like she’s a beauty blogger”.

Many people in my life don’t understand my love for makeup, and cosmetics because they think it is the products themselves I love. Don’t get me wrong, I love an intense highlight, or a bomb smoky eye with eyeliner that could cut a bitch, but that is not the real reason I love makeup. I love makeup because people feel beautiful when they wear it. They feel empowered. They feel inspired. As women, that is all we need in life. The feeling that you can accomplish anything comes from how you feel about yourself.

I believe there is nothing more important than empowering others. Lifting someone else up will give you satisfaction like nothing else will. Seeing someone who feels beautiful and confident in their own skin makes me so so happy. Unlike material goods, confidence and self-love are two things EVERYONE can achieve, independent of the amount of money you have, or where you are in your life.

So go out there, rock that blue lipstick, or glitter liner and love yourself because that is the single most important, and best thing you can do. 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Shadow and Gloss. Design by Fearne.