1.15.2017

Bikram (Hot) Yoga Review

Trying out different kinds of exercise classes was one of my New Years Resolutions this year. This past week I finally fot my booty off the couch and to a Bikram yoga class.
For those of you who don’t know, Bikram yoga, a type of hot yoga, is a series of 26 yoga poses each repeated twice done in a room heated to 105 degrees. Yeah, talk about sweat. Let me preface this post by saying I don’t really like the heat. Don’t get me wrong, I prefer it to the below freezing temperatures we’re in right now, but I still don’t love it. So what, you may be asking yourself, compelled me to take yoga in a 105 degree room? The answer: I don’t really know. I kind of just wanted to see if I could do it without dying. (Spoiler alert: I didn’t die). TBH, I was a little terrified before starting this class. But it turned out to be really fun. If you try hard enough, you can almost convince yourself that you’re in a sauna.

The heat makes it easier to stretch all your muscles, which is great, but just be sure you don’t overstretch if you’re not used to it. The heat also, obviously, makes you sweat BUCKETS. But it’s all part of the fun! Most studios will have you bring a mat and a full size towel, but I recommend also bringing a water bottle (or 2) and another smaller towel. I also recommend wearing something light, that you don’t mind getting sweaty. I wore running shorts and a tank top and I was perfect, but anything like this will work. The everyone was pretty much like the energy in a typical yoga studio, everyone is in their own head and there for themselves. Don’t take this as being a negative energy, that’s just how it is. If it’s your first time, I recommend finding a spot towards the back of the studio - you’ll be able to watch everyone and won’t feel like everyone’s watching you. Also, don’t be afraid to take a quick drink or break. If the heat is getting to you, lie down - staying safe is the most important thing. Finally, don’t forget to hydrate. Before, during, and after, water, water, water, water, water. You will sweat a ton, you need to keep hydrated.

Overall, I actually really enjoyed this yoga class. The heat was hot (obviously), but not terrible. I had never done anything like this before, so I thought this was a really fun and different way to work out. As always, let me know your thoughts down below in the comments, I’d love to hear what you guys think about Bikram Yoga. Also, let me know what other kinds of workouts I should try this year!

XOXO,


Gloss

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Shadow and Gloss. Design by Fearne.