11.13.2016

Pie Making Tips

In my house, Thanksgiving = pies. I love using fall flavors to make some seriously delicious homemade pies. But let’s get real here, I’ve definitely had my fair share of pie fails. So to help you guys improve your pie making skills, today I have a list of some of the most useful tips to remember when baking pies.

  • Use Butter - Using a little butter on the bottom of your pan will help keep the pie from sticking to the bottom. It’ll also help give the bottom crust of your pie a delicious golden flakey texture.
  • Chill - Most recipes will call for chilling the pie crust, which is necessary for getting a delicious, flaky, crust. To help with this, I recommend also chilling the bowl you’ll be mixing in so that the butter doesn’t get too warm.
  • Add An Egg Wash - Brushing your pie with an egg wash and a little bit of sugar will give it that gorgeous golden brown look.
  • Make Slits - If you’re using a full pie crust on the top, make sure to add some slits so the fruit filling doesn’t ooze out the side.
  • Bake On The Bottom Rack - When putting your pie in the oven, use the bottom rack. This will help the bottom bake evenly and thoroughly so you don’t end up with a gross, undercooked, soggy mess.
  • For Two Pies - When baking two pies at the same time make sure to use the lower temperature and check each pie often to make sure you’re not over/under cooking.
  • For Pumpkin Pie - For some reason, I have never been able to master a pumpkin pie. But through all my trial and error, my biggest tip is to take the pie out of the oven when the center has just barely set. You don’t want the filling to crack - but if it does, just cover it up with some whipped cream.


These are some of my best pie tips! I hope this helps with all your pie making endeavors. Let me know what you think of these tips and if you have any other tips in the comments below - I’d love to hear your thoughts. Also, if anyone has an amazing pumpkin pie recipe, I’d love to hear it!


XOXO,


Gloss


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Shadow and Gloss. Design by Fearne.